Post-Masters Certificate in Spiritual Care
This certificate program is designed to provide those who have already attained a Master’s degree in theological, biblical or ministerial studies with the academic knowledge, professional competencies and necessary credentials for ministry employment as a chaplain or spiritual care practitioner.
- understand the historical and present role of chaplaincy in society, and develop a personal identification with chaplaincy ministry
- articulate a biblical, integrated, and holistic personal pastoral theology as applied to spiritual care ministry in an intercultural and multifaith environment
- formulate a theological and operational construct for the role of the Pastor or Chaplain in crisis response;
- be able to discuss with understanding the dynamics of leadership in Christian Chaplaincy, including matters of scope, method, possibilities and impact of chaplaincy ministry, and guidelines for intervention versus referring or seeking supervision
- be able to explain and apply basic ethical principles in pastoral care
- become familiar with, and increasingly proficient in the personal competencies of the professional chaplain, understanding the nature and importance of ‘best practices’ and an ‘outcome oriented’ chaplaincy
- have an increased understanding of calling, giftedness and equipping for spiritual care ministry, accompanied by personal and spiritual growth that will support an effective spiritual care ministry
My time at ACTS was one of preparation and tremendous growth. Through my classes, I was able to acquire significant tools that relate to leadership and effective service within multi-faith settings that helped to build up my existing skills.
– Mike Sanya,
Chaplain, Correctional Services Canada
- An accredited graduate degree in ministry and/or theological studies. Those who have not completed a masters degree should consider the Master of Arts in Christian Studies with a specialization in Spiritual Care/Chaplaincy.
- Students may request transfer of up to 3 semester hours of CPE training into the certificate program. No other credit transfer or advanced standing will be considered toward the certificate.